Honey Sweetened Chocolate Cherry Granola
This is a sweet breakfast treat full of antioxidants – make it even more so by adding dried blueberries if desired. Eat it on its own, as a topper on yogurt or ice cream or as a cereal. It’s also easy to mix and match ingredients if you like different nuts, seeds or fruit.
- 3 1⁄2 cups organic rolled oats, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, raw or toasted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raw Seek&Bee honey
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup dried blueberries (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, salt and honey. Pour over the dry mixture in the bowl, stirring and tossing until everything is very well combined.
- Spread the granola on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the granola for 90 minutes, stirring the mixture with a heat proof spatula or spoon every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove the granola from the oven once it’s darkened slightly. Allow it to rest until it’s cooled a bit, but is still warm to the touch.
- Transfer the granola to a large bowl, and mix in the chocolate chunks or chips.
- Allow the granola to sit for another 10 minutes, then toss again — the chocolate will have melted slightly and will produce an even coating on the granola.
- When the granola has cooled completely, mix in the cherries (and blueberries if using.)
Store the granola in a tightly closed container at room temperature for several weeks.
Yield: About 9 cups.